Friday, January 9, 2009

One foggy morning in Watts

I went to Watts at 6:30 this morning to bring my daughter's two cats to a free spay clinic. The foundation that runs it is pretty cool. It was formed by one of the co-creators of the Simpsons. Yes, not all rich people are ass holes. This guy spends a lot of dough trying to help animals get proper vet care, along with rescuing dogs from the pound and training them as service animals for the hearing impaired. Impressive.


In case you've never heard of Watts, it's one of the more notorious places of L.A. Watts, Compton, South Central. It's the very scary ghetto to most Westsiders, who shake with trepidation if they have to go east of the 405. My mom actually called in sick to work because she insisted that I was in imminent danger without accompaniment. I assured her I would be okay and that an elderly woman and 5 year old girl weren't exactly what I'd call security.

Now that I'm privileged enough to have bought myself a digital camera (thank you student loans) I was able to take some pictures of this feared place.



waiting for the train to go by




amazing art, everywhere











I even found a Goddess...


She's holding a pen;)

2 comments:

Ajijaak said...

Beautiful art all around, I love it all! This is a cool organization.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what cool art! I love it when you stumble upon stuff like that in cities; living in a small community, you don't find things sporadically like that all too often.

It's so funny too that Sam Simon help runs the foundation. He actually got disgruntled with the show as soon as started going downhill and quit. Makes me wonder what kind of personal differences and goals came between him, Groening, and Brooks... I'm not a big enough nerd to go back and watch commentary on my DVDs though, lol.